New York Estate Planning Attorneys
Anyone, hypothetically, can draft a will or administer the terms of an estate after the death of the drafter. In our experience, poorly written estate plans lead to disputes and heartache among surviving family members and beneficiaries. Similarly, a nonprofessional who administers an estate runs the risk of creating conflict among beneficiaries or giving over too high a percentage of the estate assets to taxes or creditors.
Founded in Manhattan in 1930, GREENFIELD STEIN & SENIOR, LLP, is a reputable estate planning and estate administration law firm. Because our legal team also includes estate litigation lawyers, we see first-hand the pitfalls of poorly written estate plans. Our estate planning attorneys use the knowledge gained from will contests and trust litigation in which they are involved to further strengthen the estate planning services we offer to individuals, families, and businesses throughout New York. To schedule an estate planning appointment, contact our midtown Manhattan law office today.
The Goals of Estate Planning
Estate planning by an experienced wills and trusts attorney allows you to accomplish a number of important goals:
- A properly drafted will or trust can ensure that the appropriate people inherit your assets, as and when you intend
- A variety of irrevocable trusts can be used to minimize your tax bill, and your loved one's tax bill when they inherit your estate
- A living trust allows you to maintain control of your assets during your lifetime while avoiding probate after your death
- A living will (or health care directive) can ensure your loved ones know your wishes in cases of medical emergency or at the end of life, while a health care proxy can allow someone to make health care decisions when you are unable to
- A durable power of attorney can allow someone to handle your finances in the event you become unable to
- Your estate plan can support your goals in giving to charity as well as gifting to children and grandchildren through gift tax planning
Many lawyers advertise that they assist clients with estate planning; however, experience does make a difference. The New York City estate planning attorneys at the Manhattan law firm of GREENFIELD STEIN & SENIOR, LLP, are also estate litigators, bringing and defending claims against wills, trusts, and fiduciaries in New York Surrogate's Court.
We are well aware of the tax consequences and family problems that a client and his or her heirs can face when estate planning is not done properly. Our decades of experience in estate planning and estate litigation allow us to avoid pitfalls that can lead to litigation.
When you are seeking a knowledgeable and experienced New York City estate planning attorney, contact the law office of GREENFIELD STEIN & SENIOR, LLP, to schedule a consultation.
GREENFIELD STEIN & SENIOR, LLP, also offers estate administration services in New York, which involve the process of administering a will through Surrogate's Court (the title by which New York's probate courts are known).