Alan E. Katz
ALAN E. KATZ became a member of the firm in 1984 and heads the firm's Intellectual Property and Real Estate departments. Mr. Katz represents software development companies in drafting and negotiating software license, service, support and implementation agreements on a worldwide basis. The licensees in many of these transactions include international banks, investment banking firms, pension funds and city, county and state retirement systems.
In the area of Art and Entertainment Law, Mr. Katz represents artists, writers and musicians in the structuring and drafting of appropriate agreements for the commercialization of their creative endeavors, including sale, artistic services, agency, consignment, publishing and licensing agreements. Mr. Katz also represents art galleries in such diverse areas as the loan of artworks to museums, auction house consignment agreements, sale of artworks to collectors, consignment of artworks to the gallery and the lease of gallery space.
In the Real Estate arena, Mr. Katz has represented national organizations in the leasing of office and commercial properties throughout the United States and commercial and residential developers in all phases of development from site acquisition through financing, leasing and sale. He also has represented cooperatives, condominiums and homeowners associations. Drawing upon his experience from the 1970's as general counsel and chief financial officer of a real estate investment trust listed on the New York Stock Exchange, Mr. Katz has represented numerous borrowers in the restructuring of troubled real estate loans.
Mr. Katz graduated from Brandeis University in 1964 and from Columbia Law School in 1967. He is a member of the American Bar Association, the New York State Bar Association (Real Property and Intellectual Property Law Sections) and the New York City Bar Association. Mr. Katz formerly served as a member of the Board of Directors of NorCrown Bank in New Jersey and United Guardian, Inc., a pharmaceutical and health care products company listed on the American Stock Exchange. He currently serves as a member of the Board of Trustees of the Music Conservatory of Westchester, the Board of Directors of the Milbank Housing Development Fund, and the Real Estate Advisory Committee of The Children's Aid Society.
Year Joined Firm
- New York, 1969
- Columbia Law School, New York, New York
- J.D. - 1967
- Brandeis University, Waltham, MA
- B.A. - 1964
- Vitech Systems Group, Inc. - Software Development
- Allan Stone Gallery
- National Audubon Society
- The Music Conservatory of Westchester
- Guardian Insurance Company
- Lanson Properties - Real Estate Development
- Manhattan Church of Christ
Professional Associations and Memberships
- Music Conservatory of Westchester, Member, Formerly President, Board of Trustees, 1997 - Present
- Milbank Housing Development Fund, Member, Board of Directors, 2011 - Present
- United Guardian, Inc., Member, Board of Directors, 1995 - 2002
- Brandeis University Alumni Association, Trustee, 1994 - 1997
- Reserve Officers Association of the United States, 1968 - Present
Past Employment Positions
- Institutional Investors Trust, Senior Vice President, General Counsel, 1974 - 1983
- Arlen Realty & Development, Assistant General Counsel, 1971 - 1974